Gas leak at school was false alarm, no gas detected

Gas leak at school was false alarm, no gas detected

Posted: Updated:

For the second time in two days, an Oklahoma City public school is being evacuated but this time, Oklahoma City Public School officials say it was a false alarm.

Coolidge Elementary School is being evacuated after a natural gas detector worn by a school maintenance worker went off.

The evacuation began a little after 1:00 and the Oklahoma City Fire Department and Oklahoma Natural Gas began searching the building.

After several hours of searching, no gas leak was found. Oklahoma City Public School spokesperson Tierney Tinnin says the worker's battery was low, causing the detector to go off.

Students were sent home for the day but classes will resume on Wednesday.

This is the second school to be evacuated this week. Lee Elementary was evacuated Monday because of a carbon monoxide leak.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOKH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.