Basketball coach fired for risque picture posted to Facebook

Basketball coach fired for risque picture posted to Facebook

Posted: Updated:
KIFI Local News 8. Girls' basketball coach Laraine Cook was dismissed from her position after this picture, which she posted to her Facebook page in July, surfaced. KIFI Local News 8. Girls' basketball coach Laraine Cook was dismissed from her position after this picture, which she posted to her Facebook page in July, surfaced.

POCATELLO, Idaho - A southeastern Idaho school district stood by its decision to dismiss a girls' basketball coach pictured on a social networking site with another coach touching her chest.
   
The Idaho State Journal reports Pocatello High School girls' basketball coach Laraine Cook was dismissed Tuesday.
   
Parents of girls on the team met with School District 25 officials Thursday but failed to have Cook reinstated.
   
A district spokeswoman called Cook's dismissal a personnel decision and hasn't confirmed why she was let go after guiding the team to a third-place finish in the 2013 state tournament.
   
Before her firing, a photo was posted on Cook's Facebook in which her boyfriend, Pocatello high varsity football coach Tom Harrison, is touching her chest.
   
Harrison, who remains football coach, said he was reprimanded by the district.

Cook told KIFI in Idaho that she didn't think the image was immoral or inappropriate. She also said she was told by the district that Harrison wasn't fired because he didn't post the photo and she did.

"If I've learned something from this, I've learned that you just never know and have to be extremely careful about what you do and say."

Image courtesy Local News 8.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • Police: teen accuses Oklahoma City masseuse of inappropriate massage

    Police: teen accuses Oklahoma City masseuse of inappropriate massage

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:56 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:56:26 GMT
    Jingjing Qu was arrested Wednesday for suspicion of sexual battery. Image courtesy: Oklahoma County Sheriff's OfficeJingjing Qu was arrested Wednesday for suspicion of sexual battery. Image courtesy: Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office
    A 16-year-old told police that when he went into a massage parlor in Oklahoma City, the masseuse gave him more than a relaxing massage.
    A 16-year-old told police that when he went into a massage parlor in Oklahoma City, the masseuse gave him more than a relaxing massage.
  • Oklahoma musician shares message of hope through instruments deemed broken beyond repair

    Oklahoma musician shares message of hope through instruments deemed broken beyond repair

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:41 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:41:27 GMT
    “Seeing a broken violin is nothing new to me,” Kyle Dillingham said turning to the shelf of those violins waiting for repair. “They’re all over the place, this is a pretty bad break,” he said pulling out a violin with gaping hole in its shell.  Sometimes a ‘bad break’ is just that for the instrument. Those violins where the repair cost exceeds the replacement value are deemed ‘broken beyond repair.’
    “Seeing a broken violin is nothing new to me,” Kyle Dillingham said turning to the shelf of those violins waiting for repair. “They’re all over the place, this is a pretty bad break,” he said pulling out a violin with gaping hole in its shell.  Sometimes a ‘bad break’ is just that for the instrument. Those violins where the repair cost exceeds the replacement value are deemed ‘broken beyond repair.’
  • Family Matters: Pharmacy mix-ups

    Family Matters: Pharmacy mix-ups

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:41 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:41:09 GMT
    Medical mistakes are now the third most common cause of death in the U.S., ahead of breast cancer, AIDS, even car crashes. And a big part of that number comes from mix ups at the pharmacy.It's a mistake that happens more frequently that you might think. Just last week, medication for my family was mistakenly filled at a metro pharmacy with an entirely different drug. We were mistakenly given a generic drug for high cholesterol. "That shouldn't happen, but it does," said Cindy Hamilton, compli...
    Medical mistakes are now the third most common cause of death in the U.S., ahead of breast cancer, AIDS, even car crashes. And a big part of that number comes from mix ups at the pharmacy.It's a mistake that happens more frequently that you might think. Just last week, medication for my family was mistakenly filled at a metro pharmacy with an entirely different drug. We were mistakenly given a generic drug for high cholesterol. "That shouldn't happen, but it does," said Cindy Hamilton, compli...
  • FOX25 Slideshows

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
Compiling list...
  • FOX 25 FeaturesMore>>

  • Tell Me Something Good

    Tell Me Something Good

    Tired of all the bad news? Looking for some good news? Tell Me Something Good, does just that! FOX 25's Mike Brooks finds the good in Oklahoma and tells you all about it.
    Tired of all the bad news? Looking for some good news? Tell Me Something Good, does just that! FOX 25's Mike Brooks finds the good in Oklahoma and tells you all about it.
  • Waste Watch

    Waste Watch

    How are your tax dollars being spent? FOX 25 Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments, or any groups, are using your money wisely... or wasting it.
    How are your tax dollars being spent? FOX 25 Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments, or any groups, are using your money wisely... or wasting it.
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOKH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.